Handwriting using the Kinetic Letters programme at Whitchurch Combined School
We strive to ensure all our pupils achieve:
- Fluent, legible and speedy handwriting that can be performed automatically, so that the attention of the brain is on the content of the writing.
- The stamina and skills to write at length, with accurate spelling and punctuation.
- Competence in transcription (spelling and handwriting) and composition.
- The ability to write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting their language and style in and for a range of contexts, purposes and audiences.
- A comfortable and efficient pencil hold and working position.
We do this by using the Kinetic Letters handwriting programme. Teaching of the programme commences in Reception where children are taught the correct pencil hold:
Children are taught all of the Kinetic Letter families, upper case letter formation and number formation: This is inline with the order children learn phonics.